Saturday, May 3, 2008

My favorite pizza manicotti

A few months ago, my friend, Missy, and I were hanging out, using my sister's giant washer and dryer while she was out of town, when we decided to order a pizza from a place in Broad Ripple that delivers to my sister's neighborhood. We chose to top it with ricotta, spinach and prosciutto, and it was the best pizza we ever ate. After trying to recreate this pizza over the weekend, with one of those pre-cooked pizza shell things, and being disappointed, I realized that with the left over ingredients and the large number of eggs I had in the fridge, I could try creating a new manicotti. I learned how to make basic manicotti entirely from scratch from my mother, who learned from my father's sister, who learned from her husband's Italian born grandmother. While my mother and aunt have always been manicotti purists, as far as I know, I've begun experimenting with different fillings, for the benefit of my husband who doesn't fully appreciate the subtle, divine bliss of the simple ricotta cheese filling, complete with family secret ingredients which I am sworn not to divulge. My first experiment was simply adding spinach, which was good, but not great. I've tried Italian sausage, which was alright despite the fact that I've never really like Italian sausage all that much. But, now, I think I've finally found a variation to rival the original. So here it is, the recipe for Spinach and Prosciutto Manicotti:

Shells:
1 cup flour
4 eggs
3/4 cup water
pinch of salt

Whisk ingredients into a batter that is a little thinner than pancake batter, but a little thicker than crepe batter. Pour batter, about a quarter of a cup at a time, into a non-stick crepe pan over medium-low heat and swirl the pan a bit to spread out the batter into a nice circle. Once set on the first side, flip and heat just enough to set on the second side and slide the shell onto a plate. Knowing when and how to flip takes a bit of practice, and your first few will probably turn out like crap until you get the hang of it, but that's part of the learning curve. Finished shells should be set, but not more than just barely browned on the first side. Repeat the process, stacking the noodles on a plate, until you are out of batter. You'll probably end up with around 10 shells.

Filling:
1 16 oz tub of ricotta cheese
8 oz or so of mozzarella cheese
6-10 slices of prosciutto ham, chopped up
4 cups of raw spinach (or 1 frozen brick of spinach, thawed and drained well)
1 egg
salt and pepper to taste

Brown prosciutto in a tablespoon of olive oil, drain and set aside to cool. Chop, steam and drain spinach, if using fresh. Make sure to squeeze as much moisture out as possible. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl until well blended.

Assembly:
Coat the bottom of a large baking with just enough tomato pasta sauce to cover the bottom. Prego is the best for this. Fill shells with filling, about 2-3 soup spoon scoops per shell. Arrange filled shells in pan, overlapping them a little if you need to make them all fit. Pour some more sauce over the top and spread to coat all shells. Don't over do it with the pasta sauce. Bake in a 350 degree oven until the filling is gooey and heated through and the sauce on top of the shells is dried out slightly. Don't let get too browned around the edges.

No comments: